Writing advice to my brother # 2 - reviewing a WIP


The question you ask about seeking reviews caused me a lot of anguish back in the day. I was quite naïve, wondering how to proceed in a manner that most benefited me with an outcome that improved my work.

 

I trawled through writing organisation sites looking at advertisements. Subsequently, I sought out a professional reviewer. That cost me money, time, and frustration at the poor response I received. Two more times I sought reviews, only to receive inadequate advice.

 

Look closely at the reviewer and what is offered. Ignore their testimonials, they’re never going to present you with a bad one. Ask yourself, what is it this person will do for my dollar before you invest?

 

Before I write more, I will provide you with advice on a paid way forward, and a free way to understanding your writing needs.

 

The paid way. Investigate the reviewer as if you were creating a character from several explored sources. Is this person working in the genre you write in? No good asking a romance reviewer to review your sword-swinging blood and guts, slaughterhouse novel, or spy thriller.

 

Is this person earning a living reviewing, or are they tinkering around the edges? What will they produce for your money? Is what is offered what you want, or will you pay the premium price?

 

Three reviews in, I had not received advice of value.

 

Finally, I placed an ad in the state writers’ journal setting out what I wanted in a review. Four applied. Despite my criteria, two applicants had no experience in reviewing. One had a history of reviewing in another genre but one was earning a living writing and editing in my genre. I checked that person’s bona fides, was happy with what I observed, and made contact.

 

Better yet, that person had a holiday home nearby. We met and talked about history. I set out my needs and was asked, what do I want? That discussion led to the review I wanted in the first place. Following receipt of a detailed, insightful review. I re-wrote my work and it was published soon after. The editor cleaned up my grammar.

 

The message I offer is – you be in charge of the review, not the reviewer. It is your money. It is your novel. Your vision depends upon their paid advice. Tell them what you want, in a contract if necessary. Be wary of the reviewer who offers no contact beyond a one-page review after the acceptance of your MS and money.

 

The free way forward. Friends are your answer.  Oh goody, you say. I’ll email my MS to Jasmine and see what that brings. Wrong!

 

Jasmine may be into crime, history romance, or a combination of the three. Whereas you are producing a contemporary action/adventure novel.

 

The challenge here would be for Jasmine to work out just how to respond in a polite, meaningful way that does not offend you. Do you see what I am driving at?

 

Without parameters, friends may respond in a way they think you want them to, rather than provide you with a positive structural overview. 

 

Most likely, friends will have zero experience with constructive criticism of a WIP. Confronted with your WIP, many will glance through it and not respond. You will be another month down the track, waiting on something that will not eventuate.

 

Try this. Talk to your friends to understand what they read. Subsequently, select a chapter(s) within, as close to their preferred genre. 

 

Ask that friend if they will provide an opinion on any one of the following - dialogue, characterisation, scene-setting, plot, or that point of contention you require advice on within a limited piece of work. 

 

This way, if you ask a romance reader to comment on the dialogue between a male and female character interacting within a relationship. You will receive an insightful reply.

 

If your friend reads true crime, ask for a comment on the reality of one particular character, or scene-setting within a chapter. What you want to know is, is your descriptive writing real enough to convince an audience that page is worth turning?

 

The point here is, do not overwhelm your friend(s). Seek limited comment on particular points of improvement a novice reviewer can competently describe. 

 

There’s nothing more frustrating than a response from a friend who says something like, I did not get the main character from start to finish.

 

Be selective in what you email to friends. Keep your requests short and, be specific in what you what commented on.

 

For example, you might send Ms. X chapters three and eleven because these are pivotal as the plot skews at three and eleven, where your audience is taken along an unexpected path. 

 

Your questions should be framed around the turning point or plot twist.

 

You get where I am coming from. Think carefully about what you email a friend and, what you require of them.

 

Lastly, people state on Twitter, FB, and other platforms they are Book Reviewers for no more than the experience. You send an uncredentialled person your WIP, they review and the cards fall where they may.

 

In closing, remain cognisant of the following. It is your money, time, investment, and writing future you are about to take critical advice on. Make certain you receive what it is you most want to improve your manuscript. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandson's observation of grandparents

Writing advice to my brother # 3 - reviews and reviewers of your WIP